French Onion Soup

These poor little crock pots are not used enough!   Especially when French Onion Soup is such a great meal!!!!  Plus I made it extra low calorie by substituting ingredients I usually use with low cal ingredients, and taking out the butter I normally use.  Unfortunately, I was in a rush, and I did not cook the onions long enough, so they were a little crunchy... didn't make the soup horrible, but next time, I will make sure they sweat longer in the pan.  Here is my recipe for french onion soup...

3 cups of chopped onions
I can't believe it's not butter spray (as much as you'd like!)
3 tbsp soy sauce
9 cups of beef broth
1 can beef consomme
6 slices of 35 calorie wheat bread (toasted)
1.5 cups mozzerella (1/4 cup each crock)

The end result is about 6 crocks of soup at about 200 calories each!  YUM!  We had these last night with some veggies and hummus (and pita chips).

Start by cooking the onions in a pan on medium heat.  I like to spray the pan with some PAM and then while the onions are cooking spray some I can't believe it's not butter spray on them.
The butter spray is for flavor as well as to keep the onions from getting dry and burning. 

This step is probably going to take a good 20 minutes if you don't want your onions to be crunchy...  I didn't do this at the time, but you could probably add a little beef broth in the pan so they don't burn and cook evenly enough as well. 

Next, you add your soy sauce.  (The picture above already has soy sauce in it, hence the color)
After this, add your beef broth, and beef consomme, and bring to a boil.


In the meantime, start toasting the bread, and break them into small cubes into each crock.


When the soup is done, add to the six crocks evenly.

Then top each crock with 1/4 cup of mozzerella cheese

Broil until cheese starts to bubble and brown...

And enjoy!!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Mushrooms and Grape Salad

Laptop is back up and running...

Pork Stir Fry with Brown Rice