Quilting and Yummy Food!

Here is the promised picture of the craft project that I had been working on.  This is a baby quilt that I made for my long time friend, Laura.  She is due to have her first baby (a boy) in May.  Throughout the years of our friendship (since Kindergarten) we have made each other gifts for birthdays and Christmas.  So, when I found out she was having a baby, I figured I would try to make her a baby blanket.  With the help of my Mother-in-Law, Ginny (a lot of help- Thank you, Ginny!), I finished this quilt in about 2 months.  I waited till I found out she was having a boy and a theme to their nursery (airplanes)... I found a couple fabrics with airplanes and went from there.  I didn't follow a pattern, because I was mostly just learning to quilt and sew... I cut each of those blocks individually, which took a while.
  I've already started on my next quilt.  :)

 It's been a while since I've posted on here...  been sick this last week with a cold, so I haven't exercised.  Last week for Weigh In Wednesday I had a gain, which was disappointing.  A little over a pound.  With this week, not feeling my best, I'm hoping to at least not have gained anything.  Can't wait to feel better and go back at full force to the gym!

Below is a picture of some Spaghetti Squash I baked.  I filled it with a filling of Mushrooms and Cauliflower sauteed with some pesto, and topped with cheese and broiled for a minute.  Yum!

Below is a picture of one of my favorite breakfasts/snacks, Fat Free Cottage Cheese with 25 calorie no sugar added peach cups!  Try it!

A picture of my hubby before we went out a couple weeks ago... isn't he handsome with his new mohawk?


A couple of pictures of me before going out a couple weeks ago.  



 When we went to Bangor for my friend, Laura's baby shower, we spent the day with my parents.  This is a picture of them at the 99...

And here is a picture of me and Jarrod at the 99...



Last week I tried my catfish dish again.  And I made it, PERFECT!  We had it the week before at Tranchemontagne's and it wasn't as good as the first time.  Still good though... so that gave me a little confidence to try again.  I was mixing the ingredients for the fish rub and tasted it, and realized what the taste was from last time that I didn't like... the Paprika I bought was "smoked" and it had a nasty flavor.  I remade the rub for the fish, and it was PERFECT.  I also made a less acidic coleslaw.  The recipe for everything is below...

Corn Cakes w/ Jalepenos

1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup splenda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsp applesauce
2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1 egg beaten
1 Jalepeno sliced thinly.

Mix wet ingredients together.  Mix dry ingredients together.  Add dry to wet ingredients.  Add Jalepeno slices. Fry 1/2 cup at a time.  Makes 6-7 pancakes.  Each pancake is 192 calories.

 Catfish Rub

Sugar
Paprika
Smoky Seasoned Salt
Oregano

Rub on fish, bake at 350* until done.


Spicy Cilantro Coleslaw:

3 cups cabbage and carrot mix
2 tbsp cilantro
3 tbsp light mayo
2 tbsp lime juice
1.5 tsp splenda or sugar
1.5 tsp chopped serrano pepper (or jalepeno if you like less hot)

Guacamole Recipe to come... for this I used Whole Foods Guac... Yum! 



 Last night I made homemade tortillas for fajitas! 

I got the tortilla recipe at Epicurious.

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup warm water (may need more to incorporate ingredients together)

Stir together flour and salt.  Add shortening with pastry blender.  Add oil and warm water and mix to form dough.  Knead until smooth and elastic (4 minutes). Let sit for 1 hour in plastic wrap.  Cut into 10 pieces to make 10 tortillas.  Press with tortilla press and roll out thin.  Fry till cooked.

Each tortilla was 136 calories.

Steak Marinade

1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp worcestire
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp mustard seed
pepper

Cut steak into strips and marinate for at least 4 hours.  Quickly fry for fajitas in a stir fry pan.

Next week is my hubby's 30th Birthday!  Need to start to get a recipe together for his healthified yellow cake with peanut butter frosting.  If anyone has any ideas, let me know.  I'm not a baker! 

One Meal at a Time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Mushrooms and Grape Salad

Laptop is back up and running...

Yep, I cooked! ;)