Cornbread Pancakes!

A few weeks ago, the hubby and I went out to Tranchemontagne's, a new restaurant here in Westbrook that just opened up.  We decided to have the catfish special, and it was probably one of THE BEST things I've ever put in my mouth.  Silly old me, thought I could recreate it at home.  Well...  I think I need to go back to Tranchemontagne's and give it a few more tries, because mine, not as good...  The meal is blackened cajun catfish over coleslaw and corn cakes with some guacamole on top.  The corn cakes were delicious, but could have had a bit more grittiness to it... maybe more cornmeal then flour in the ratio would have helped.  I used a mandoline to cut up some jalepenos in the corncakes, and I think they were a little too thin because I barely tasted them. 

Cornbread Pancakes


1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup splenda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups milk (I used unsweetened original almon milk)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (could substitute apple sauce)
1 egg, beaten
1 jalepeno sliced thinly

For the colelaw I used my normal homemade dressing, which had too much cider vinegar for this recipe.  I would stick to a dressing that had more of a mayonnaise base...  I'll add that recipe another time when I actually like it ;).

For the catfish, I made a rub of paprika, oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil, and fried the catfish in the pan.  The catfish was my biggest problem with the dish.  the ratio of spices I got online seemed a little bland and I ended up adding salt... too much salt.  Yuck!  I don't think I enjoyed the flavor of the catfish, it may be because the filet was a little thick for my taste, or because I've probably cooked fish about 10 times in my life ;).  Either way, I would try a different rub and maybe cook the fish longer. 

The guacomole I used, was alright... but I would probably splurge and get some Whole Foods guac to top off the dish or try to make it homemade with some ripened avocados.

Will repost with a perfected recipe someday I hope.  Trial and error!  I may try it with haddock since I know I like the flavor of that fish. 

Curry Curry Curry... I never get tired of curry!  This time my dish was made with chicken, shrimp and mango... same veggies of onion, snow peas, and carrots.  Curry broth was made with Trader Joes Lite Coconut Milk (2 cans), red curry paste (6 tbsp), 2 tbsp brown sugar (splenda blend), 1 tbsp yellow curry, and 4 tbsp fish sauce.  I cooked some brown rice on the side to go with! 

Like my new bowls???

You can't really see this bowl, but it's yellow.  :) 
Tomorrow is Weigh In Wednesday!  Hope that I'm closer to my goal of 14 lbs lost in March!  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Mushrooms and Grape Salad

Laptop is back up and running...

Yep, I cooked! ;)