Turkey Sausage, Brown Rice, Veggie Stir Fry and Pasta Fagiole!

January 19, 2010

I finally got up early today to go to the gym (I hadn't gone in 3 days!).  So I made up for it, by doing 3 miles on the elliptical!  Apparently I burned 600 calories!  Work went well today, but I'm glad to be home relaxing :).  For lunch today I brought leftover soup that I had made, Pasta Fagiole!  I got the recipe from the Cooking Light Website, Yum!  And for dinner I made a stir fry, so good!  Recipes for both below!

Pasta Fagiole (http://www.cookinglight.com/)

12 oz Chicken Sausages (halved lengthwise and sliced)- I like the Al Fresco ones!
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup uncooked small seashell wheat pasta
2 cups chopped zucchini
1 (14.5oz) can stewed tomatoes (undrained)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (15oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Asiago, Parmesan, or Romano cheese (optional)

Heat a large saucepan over high heat.  Add sausage, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add broth and pasta; bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes.  Add zucchini and tomatos; bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes.  Stir in basil, oregano, and beans; cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until pasta and zucchini are tender.  Sprinkle with cheese. 

Yield: 5 servings (about 1 and 1/3 cup soup and about 1 tbsp cheese)- 319 calories per serving



Turkey Sausage, Brown Rice, Veggie Stir Fry

6 Johnsonville Turkey Cheddar Sausages (boiled)
2 cups uncooked minute brown rice (cook as directed on box)

1/2 head cabbage
1 bag fresh spinach
2 carrots
1/2 green pepper
1/2 cup fresh broccoli
1/2 cup fresh cauliflower
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1/2 cup canned mushrooms
2 tbsp lite soy sauce
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp red curry paste
1 tbsp fish sauce
salt and pepper

I stir fried all of the veggies together, except spinach.  Added the soy, vinegar, fish sauce, and red curry paste in the middle.  Then added the spinach at the end.  After I added the rice and sausages cut up.  Delicious!  I had the red curry paste and fish sauce hanging around so added them, but just some soy sauce or just some balsamic vinegar would add a little flavor to the veggies. 

6 servings (about 1.5 cups each) at 292 calories each!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Mushrooms and Grape Salad

Laptop is back up and running...

Pork Stir Fry with Brown Rice